Thursday 6 January 2011

Eiye Adaba by Asa




On first hearing this song, I shed a tear! Honest! I am not Yoruba therefore I did not understand her lyrics but for some reason her voice touched, shook, and stroked my soul. Now I listen to it whenever I can, on the way to work, during revision or during them thoughtful moments in solitude. If I ever was to go on X-factor, I would pelt out this number, fully repping my Nigerian roots by wearing an ankara maxi dress and a large igele (Nigerian hat- designed to poke peoples' eyes out and obstruct view). Yeah my imagination has gone to them lenghts there, but HEY, Simon best recognise! Lol!

Asa is one of them Nigerian artists that many may not know about, but if you do.... Ya Know she GUD! Not the typical "Razz" (bush, jungle-like) kind of music, just music for the heart and soul. Her album is one of my personal favourites, that I would seriously consider taking along if ever I was to spend a year or so in a desert alone.
Last year, I was so amazed to find that we were staying in the same hotel, down in London. Obviously I had to get a picture! And I must say she was so petite and much prettier than I anticipated!

Back when I had hair! Sigh* Ghenz with Asa


Here are the lyrics and translation. Please enjoy!


Eiyé àdaba

Oju mo ti mo Oju mo ti mo mi Ni le yi o o Oju mo ti mo - mo ri re o

Eiye adaba Eiye adaba Eiye adaba ti n fo lo ke lo ke Wa ba le mi o o Oju mo ti mo mo ri re o

I wake up at dawn As it dawn’s upon me I wake up to the sun Shining upon me

I see doves in the sky Birds flying high Then in silence I pray for peace For my people

No comments:

Post a Comment