Tuesday 8 March 2011

Losing the Heritage



I saw this video on my Facebook, someone had posted it and hey I thought I would give it a watch. MEHHHNNN! I was UPSET, DISTRESSED, ASHAMED, IMPRESSED, and ANGERED all at once. This is an Oyinbo (White) girl doing what most of us Nigerians of this generation fail to even imagine doing! She is speaking Yoruba!!! AHH!!

Whilst I am very impressed at her dedication and respect of the language, I am saddened that I can't speak one African language. Yet, I am stressing myself to learn Spanish, French, Dutch and Chinese! I feel I have been duped out of my own African heritage and in turn will have nothing to pass onto my children. And before you start saying that it is my fault, it truly isn't! The person we need to bring up for questioning here is the parents!!! My mother is already in trouble, as I have been moaning for as long as I can remember at not being able to speak, hear or read my native tongue.

OK I understand basic stuff like, "close the door" or "stir the pot well" and "Are you nuts, don't tempt me to smack you?" Loooooooooooooool! (Being a very mischievous and stubborn little girl, I got that last one ALOT!)but that is a mere fleck of dust in comparison to our dear Oyinbo sister her speaking in fluent Yoruba, No English!!!! Oyinbo Toh Behhd!!

Anyways, all we can do now is, if you can't speak your tongue, marry someone who can or find some classes, Youtube pronto!

Peace and Juicy WaterMelon Seeds!

2 comments:

  1. wow very nice of her, yorubas do well though, a lot of them keep the language, but we ibo's make me a lil dissapointed


    http://chizys-spyware.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. the last 15 seconds was funny

    ReplyDelete