Friday 8 April 2011

Would you change faith for your spouse?

So I was sitting on the train this evening back from London when I got talking to the Oyinbo woman sitting next to me. Let us call her Maevis for now, (it ain't her name doe). She seemed really lovely but I am sure everyone knows how to identify a depressed person who seems to just want to air out their troubles to you. I believe in stranger love so I entertained her enthusiasm to share her worries with me.

After a bit of gossiping and giggling ( you would have thought me and she were home girls!), she revealed to me that she was having a spot of bother in the love sector of her life. It turns out that the guy she had been dating for three years, wanted to marry her but wouldn't and couldn't do so unless she turned Muslim! I literally took one look at her sad and depressed anatomy and told her to promptly drop his number, let me tell him about himself!!!!!! Is he a JOKEIST!??! A BLUDDY COMEDIAN??!!?

For the past three years they had been in love, living together as "man and wife", if you get my drift and even had a child, but when it came to the vows, that is when my guy decides to remember "Allah" and feel the need for a Muslim wife!
Having been brought up in a strict Christian home, she couldn't imagine herself converting to Islam. It totally went against all that she knew and learnt. In the end, she separated from her boyfriend.

All I can say is that, I respect her and her choice. Why you may ask? Because she understood that her God comes before any demand of a simple man. You can't just get up and decide to change faith, not without facts and proper convincing that this faith is the true one to follow. "Show me the truth, facts, make me believe with words of wisdom and mate...... I will gladly wear that hijab again!" 


I am not saying she was right to not convert, I just do not agree that it should be to done to keep the love of a man or anyone for that matter. If someone is ready to love you, for real, they should be ready to accept and respect everything that comes with you.

Religion or faith is not like a bad habit or attitude a person possesses but a walk of life. One of the biggest attributes that define an individual. To strip or rid a person, whom you are meant to love off such a vital aspect in their life is to render the self delusion of love completely void, selfish and irrelevant.

Being a Christian woman, if ever I became interested in a Muslim brother, I would first of search within myself to consider if I could accept his faith in any and every possible outcome of our courtship. Whether it is just for fun or whether it could actually head somewhere in the future.
Without a doubt, I will make him aware that, if he is getting involved, he needs to understand that what he sees is what he is getting. "If he no like am or him think sey he go fih change am, abeg mek him commot from my front with immediate alacrity!"


No doubt, this will require  true love, tolerance and respect to work out

In terms of living and raising kids, I have seen many happy marriages between those of Christian and Islamic faith. They have endeavoured to teach the children both faiths and bring them up correctly. On Sunday, the children follow their mother to church, on Friday, it is the mosque with Dad. Either ways, the children are brought up to understand that God or Allah is Number one in all things, especially when it comes to the matter of the heart.

5 comments:

  1. No one should ever change his/her religion just to please the spouse. religion is a personal decision

    ReplyDelete
  2. as much as i don't admire families with different religious faith, i still wouldn't change my faith 4 any1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change my faith for who???mAN? mba noooo. Im a christian and thats it. My mum used to be muslim and changed when she married my dad. And till date she loves being a christian and if i must say, she is even a more devout christian than my dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That girl's situation is harsh. To be with someone for that long and be told "no ring until you change faith". Hm...so what did his religion think about the child out of wedlock and all that stuff? That was less important than her faith? I'm not religious, but the guy should have a little consistency please!! Seems a case of selectively turning a blind eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While i think it's okay to change your faith for yourself, i think it's sacrilegious to change your faith for somebody else. This world, we are all On Our Own, so WTH?!!!!

    Adiya

    ReplyDelete