Thursday 23 December 2010

Nothing Lasts Forever


A happy girl, in love and feeling the warmth of blessings on her life, sits on the train home. She has just spent an amazing week away with her significant other and is still reeling with happiness. As she sits at the window pane, she waves at him, whilst he stands surrounded in snow, blowing her kisses. In this exact moment she feels a surge of emotion and wonders, “Could he be the one?” Because this one, he is different. A year on and not a bad word has been uttered between them, nor a raised voice. As in, to coexist is something so innate and natural, as if they knew each other in another life. She is his beginning and he is her end. Compatibility, love, mutual respect, attraction and supplementation are at its' best. Where there is enjoyment in just sitting in each other’s company in total and utter silence. In this moment she feels like she could do this for life.

And then the demons creep in........”Nothing lasts forever” they whisper coyly.
Unfortunately as annoying as it is for them to crash upon this moment uninvited, they are perfectly correct. Life and its experiences will change people and their attitudes. All of a sudden, the attributes that attracted you in the first place, may cease to be there in a few weeks, months or years. And from my point of view, this is ridiculously scary – as in – I could lose what little hair I have thinking about this!

Why you may ask. Because it takes time for me to love, but when I do, I love hard! HARDCORE!! Be it family, friend or lover, if Ghene truly loves you, you will definitely know! I enjoy giving love. I love that sensation when I look at someone, knowing that no matter what, this love is unconditional.

But as I have learnt, even unconditional love cannot make a relationship last forever. There are people that up till now, I still love certain people from my past so dearly and wholeheartedly but I don’t actually talk to them and may never will. You would think that because of this I would shy away from forming new relationships or opening my heart again to love so fiercely. You would think I would hold all at an arm’s length and break all relationships on my own terms to avoid heartache.

But where is the joy in that? How can you be possibly happy without loving another unrequited or not? If anything, failures in love drive should us to love more and to appreciate the special relationships and bonds we currently have. We don’t know where they may lead nor do we know when they will end if ever at all. The best we can do is take each day as it comes and love like it was our last day alive. This relationship may end next week but before it does, we must aim to get as much love as we can in there before parting. That way, for us, that love will still last forever in our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. I Love This! I'm totally the same when it comes to loving someone!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mehn! All this love stuff is very dangerous. But personnally, it is just one of those things vital for life!

    ReplyDelete